Director: Prof. Dr. Joy Philip Kakkanattu, CMI
Institute of Pastoral Management is a centre established in the Faculty of Theology at Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram with a view to provide specialized training to ordained priests to undertake ministry in specific contexts and to facilitate quality research and ongoing updating programmes in the area of pastoral ministry. Apart from regular programmes to train missionaries in diverse contexts, this Institute intends to impart training in languages and other skills required for the effective fulfilment of the mission mandate. This Institute offers, in collaboration with the Archdiocese of Cologne, Germany, an intensive one year.
Pastoral Management Course for priests, who want to work in the German speaking dioceses. The first part of the course, consisting of intensive training in the first three levels of German language, will be offered in association with the Goethe Institute, Bangalore. The second part will offer specially focused introduction to the German culture, traditions, history of the Church in Germany, liturgical practices, etc., in view of practically equipping each candidate to offer pastoral care to the people in German speaking Catholic parishes. These courses will be offered by teachers from Germany, who have expertise in the respective fields.
1. Language Course: Super-intensive German Language Course (A1, A2 and B1) in collaboration with the Goethe Institute of Bangalore. On a regular basis, teachers from the Goethe Institute will conduct the language classes on DVK Campus.
2. Introduction to Parish Ministry in Germany: The second part of the course will be of the duration of eight weeks. The contents of this part will mainly be the following:
- Practical initiation into the Latin Rite Holy Mass in German Language. The duration of this programme will be about five working days and it will be conducted by a Priest from the Archdiocese of Cologne. What is learnt will be practised in the subsequent weeks.
- A brief introduction into the customs and practices in Germany, e.g., climate, food habits, celebration of feasts, etc. This course will be conducted by an Indian priest having pastoral experience in Germany; its duration will be 5-7 working days.
- A short introduction of about 10 working days into the German History: The Enlightenment, World Wars, the Student Movement of 1968, the Reunion of Germany, etc. The teacher will be from Germany.
- German Church History: A short course of about 10 working days will be arranged on themes connected with German Church history covering Reformation and today's denominational situation, Second Vatican Council and the Post-Conciliar developments, the relationship between the State and the Church, etc. The teacher will be from the Archdiocese of Cologne.
- Impulses for German Church from the pastoral practices in India: The regular family prayer, family visits by the Parish Priests, the value of learning some forms of silent meditative prayer, etc. It could be a course of about 5 working days and the teacher could be an Indian Priest with Pastoral experience in Germany.
- Information about further training in Germany. It will be a course of only two working days by a Priest from the Archdiocese of Cologne. During the second part of the course also German Language Classes will be continued and all efforts will be made to deepen the knowledge of German through practical exercises in German, like conversations, etc.
- During the second part of the course also German Language classes will be continued and all efforts will be made to deepen the Knowledge of German through practical exercises in German, like conversations, etc.,